Saturday, 13 December 2008

What did Mary know?

Yes I know, it's over a week since I last wrote here, and I said that I would put some thoughts during the Christmas period. I promise the next one will be here in less time....

The first chapter in Luke's Gospel tells us about encounters involving the Angel Gabriel with Zechariah and Mary. Zechariah was to be the father of John the Baptist, but that is another story.

Gabriel had a message from Mary that she had been chosen to give birth to Jesus, the Son of God. There are two dangers to which we can be susceptible regarding the role of Mary.

Firstly, we can over emphasise it and make her more important than she is. Of course, she had a vital part to play, giving birth to the Son of God is no small thing. However, it is clear from this passage that she herself was not exalted, indeed her reaction is one that shows great humility, realising that she was the Lord's servant, in no way as or more important. The song that she sung as recorded in verses 46 - 55 of that first chapter is an object lesson in giving glory where it belongs, to God himself alone.

On the other hand, we can as a reaction under emphasise her role. She was indeed in a privileged position. Even in her humility, she declared that all generations would call her blessed, in other words she was shown favour by God. We must remember that and thank God that she was willing to take on this role.

I have often wondered how much she actually knew of the implications of this and what would be involved in the life of her Son. She knew that Jesus was God's Son, but did she realise that he would take on himself the sins of the world in his death?

2 comments:

Annmarie Miles BTh said...

Nice job Rich.
Mary did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new; this child that you've delivered, will soon deliver you!

Richard Miles said...

That song sums it up nicely!