If we rely on God completely and only for our initial salvation, ongoing sanctification and future glory, then we can trust him through all of the everyday situations of life. All of us go through good and tough times, there are some people who expreience tragedies that many of us could never imagine. We had news only this week of a family whose 11 year old son died suddenly in his sleep. It is just impossible to imagine how they must be feeling. We pray for them at this time.
God can be trusted even going through the toughest time. Those going through the very toughest times don't often see it at the time, and it is inappropriate to go to those people and say things like "God is in this", remember Romans 8 v 28. Many Christians have done harm in these circumstances.
However, even though we don't feel it in those circumstances, and it is not right to say it to those going through them, it none the less is true. God CAN be trusted. Very often we don't see that until we come out the other side. If God can be trusted to take care of our salvation in all its aspects, then he can certainly be relied upon to take us through the trials of life. James in his letter tells us that we are to consider it pure JOY when going through these. That is not easy.
Ultimately, we are made to rely more and more on God. He wants us to do that and realise that as his children he loves us more than we can know.
10 Guernsey Parishes
2 days ago
6 comments:
If he loves us why did he let that 11 yeard old die? Who did he love more? The child or the grieving parents?
I was at the funeral of that child this morning. It was a very moving occasion. Your question was asked, and the answer very honestly given "we don't know." We have a choice, though, we either believe that God is good or loving or we don't. God did show his love for us supremely in what Jesus came to do. He knows what it is like to see his son die. Therefore, he is able to identify with the parents who are grieving. We were also reminded of the hope of the resurrection, Jesus conquered death by rising again. The boy had a real faith in God, which means that he is now in heaven with him. That, too, has been a source of comfort to his family. I grant you that we can't know exactly what they are going through, and need to keep them in prayer.
Have you read 'The Shack' Rich - it is an amazing book that will really get you thinking about the love of God. I'm on my second time through it as there is so much that challenges your thinking.
Really glad you are both settled. Love to mum.
Lisa x
I haven't read "The Shack", although I have heard a lot of things about it, some good and some not so good. Maybe I should get a copy.
Hi Richard, it's been a while. Great post. Well put. Romans 8:28 is the best example of a great verse quoted badly so many times.
The Shack in my humble opinion is a fantastic book. It gives a glimpse of a Father who is with us in suffering, who is not the author of pain and who ultimately is our only hope in Jesus.
It's not a book reformed theologians look on with pleasure, especially those who would think God had it in his great pleasing and fulfilling will to have an 11 year boy die, and the countless other tragedies that are happening as I write this brief note. However, I'd suggest you read it. I'm not sure where you stand on this, that can be a good thing. Keeping your cards close to your chest in certain topics can stop others judging you harshly in your walk with Christ. Other times, especially in pastoral occasions with loved ones our theology can't help but overflow from our lips as we express who we believe God truly is.
When reading the book remember it's a novel written for his kids, he doesn't claim to be a theologian and he also doesn't worship the black madonna as many have tried to accuse him of. Some of the horrible comments and posts that I have read about William Young from reformed theologians are so upsetting. Feel free when you read it to mail me your thoughts.
Also, don't read it in public; I cried like a baby at certain points!
Hi Ferg, many thanks for your comments, well thought out as always. One thing that I am learning all the time, not least because of the diversity of people at IBI is that you have to be prepared to not be too dogmatic on certain topics. There are some things that are just not that important. We have a great example in that in our Church History teacher. I am reasonably sure of where he stands on doctrinal issues, but he still presents the subject in a balanced way. On my Blog, I trust that I keep to the important issues, and don't get sidetracked. The whole area as to where God is in tragic circumstances can be a controversial one. The important thing is that he is in control, I trust all Christians would agree on that. I intend to read The Shack, it sounds really interesting.
I have had a look at your BLOG too - you seem to be having a great time. I trust that you will continue to have exciting adventures together! I will comment on your own Blog soon.
Post a Comment