Monday, 13 October 2008

What is REALLY important?

That is a very good question. If you were to ask most Christians, they would answer that it is the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. That is, that he lived, died and rose again, and the implications of that. We as Christians are to take that message to the world. Of course, the gospel is far more detailed than that, but essentially it is about him. The Apostle Paul said to the Corinthians "I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified" (1 Corinthians 2 v 2 NIV).

However, as I indicated in the previous post, we spend far too much time disputing things that are not essential to the gospel. Furthermore, we do so in a way that does not at all honour the Lord Jesus Christ whom we claim to serve.

One area where this is particularly so is when it comes to music and the church. It may well be true to say that there have been more divisions amongst God's people in this area than any other. The main reason for this is that, as I well know as a musician, tastes in music are a very personal thing. We all want our particular "taste" in music catered for. When deciding upon the style of music that should go into a church service, such tastes must not be the overriding factor. The problem is that some will not accept that and are insistant that what they want must happen at all costs. This is the case regardless of style, there are those who only want to see older hymns sung, and others who only want modern songs. There is then the question of instruments used, music groups, choirs etc. etc.

I have come to realise that in the great scheme of things those issues matter so little. A person can come to faith and grow in maturity as a Christian without ever singing a hymn that was written before the 20th century. Similarly the opposite is the case. The important thing is growing in likeness to Christ which has nothing ultimately to do with the sort of music they sing or hear. It is being transformed by God's Word that really matters.

I have had to learn this lesson myself. I have always liked church services where the songs and hymns sung were the ones that I like. As a musician, such things are important. However, I realise that there are things that are far more important. There are, sadly, those though for whom their personal preferences are paramount, and they won't be quiet until they get what they want. This can cause great disunity amongst us and distract us from the vital task of taking the gospel to the world.

I would emphasise again, musical style is NOT important. What needs to be in place is the priority of God's word. Even if we don't have music in the service that is to out taste, we need to listen to and obey God's Word.

Again, as with the issue of the Holy Spirit, we must be certain that where we disagree with other believers in this area, we do so in love, not trying to push our own agenda. As well as that, we need to pray for those who decide what music is in our church services, that they will select appropriate songs and hymns that will be to the glory of God.

Of course, there is criteria that should be used in such selection, but that is for another post......

2 comments:

Ferg said...

Great points.
Once people are just singing songs to sing songs; it's the heart that matters.
So often the people who get upset about styles etc are about tradition and religion, whereas music is an incredible way to be intimate with our Lord and saviour in worship and to glorify him through praise.
I think worship & praise through music has a far bigger role than we sometimes think.
We'll be doing it all the time in heaven so we better get used to singing his praise and experiencing him as we do it!!!

Richard Miles said...

Thanks Ferg for your response. That is something I feel strongly about. I agree with you, too, about the power that music has, and how important its role is in the praise and worship of God.
It is a shame that so often the enemy uses it to attack the church and cause disunity about it. That is why it is vital to be in constant prayer about it.