Monday, 24 August 2009

More on being Emergent

I did say, back in the dim and distant past of a May BLOG that I would return to this subject. I have been reading various things on the subject, from different points of view.

Rather than write my own thoughts on the subject, I am posting a link to an article on the BLOG of Kevin De Young, which sums up the subject very well.

www.revkevindeyoung.com/2009/08/two-kingdom-theology-and-neo-kuyperians.html

(Sorry, you're going to have to copy and paste this - I couldn't get the "add link" feature to work.)

He is an American who has co-written with Ted Kluck what looks to be an excellent book called "Why we're not emergent by two guys who should be." I must confess that I haven't read the book yet, it is one on my "to read" list. However, the blurb on Amazon is as follows:

“You can be young, passionate about Jesus Christ, surrounded by diversity, engaged in a postmodern world, reared in evangelicalism and not be an emergent Christian. In fact, I want to argue that it would be better if you weren’t.”

The Emergent Church is a strong voice in today’s Christian community. And they’re talking about good things: caring for the poor, peace for all men, loving Jesus. They’re doing church a new way, not content to fit the mold. Again, all good. But there’s more to the movement than that. Much more.

Kevin and Ted are two guys who, demographically, should be all over this movement. But they’re not. And Why We’re Not Emergent gives you the solid reasons why. From both a theological and an on-the-street perspective, Kevin and Ted diagnose the emerging church. They pull apart interviews, articles, books, and blogs, helping you see for yourself what it’s all about.


If anyone has read it, please let me know.

No comments: