Yes, I've finally read it! Here are a few of my thoughts, for what they are worth. I am not attempting a full book review here, just some things that I noted as I read it.
The first thing to realise about the story is that it is fictional, a novel really. I must say that as a novel I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I disagree with those who think that it is not well written - it kept my attention, and made me want to keep reading it, I felt the style was compelling.
The fact that it is a novel means that it is not a theological textbook or even an exposition of Scripture. As such, some of the concepts of God and his character are incomplete when compared with how he is revealed in the Bible. If you read it with that in mind you could enjoy it as a good story. In that respect, it has some similarities with the Narnia stories of C.S. Lewis. In them, the character of Aslan is not a complete representation of Jesus, nor does it attempt to be so.
I will just use a couple of things to illustrate this. The author represents the Trinity as three separate people, which of course is not a Biblical view - the Trinity is God three in one. And no, I can't really get my head around that. But God is certainly not seen as three separate persons.
The reality of God's judgement is also played down. The sum of God's displeasure at sin is portrayed as simply the consequences of peoples actions in the present world. Whilst that is part of the story, as Romans 1 reminds us, there is coming a day when everybody will stand before the judgement seat of Christ.
The problem is that the author appears to be using the book to give us his view of God as well as to be a good story. Therefore, maybe his intention is that we perceive God in the way described in the book. If that is the case, then when we do read it we must do so with caution remembering what we know of God in the way that he has been revealed in his Word.
So did I enjoy it? Yes, I thought it was a great story.
Would I recommend others to read it? Yes, as long as it was made clear to them that the picture of God portrayed in the book is not complete.
Symbio Wildlife Park
2 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment