I have been reading, hearing about and considering the subject of the "Emergent" Church, and being "Missional". As I have heard, read and considered there are some good things about it, but also, a number of concerns.
The good thing about this particular movement is their desire to engage with people where they are. This is extremely important. It is probably true to say that very often evangelical Christians haven't been good at getting alongside people, sitting where they sit. We can come across as considering ourselves above others. Therefore, we must make sure that we do engage with people that we meet, and see them as Jesus saw them - with compassion, as sheep without a shepherd. This is certainly something that we can learn from the Emergent church.
My major concern is that there seems to be an emphasis upon making this world a better place. Evangelical Christians are criticised by some of them as being too heavenly minded. They say that we are not concerned enough about the needs of people in the world.
Once again, they may well be right - perhaps we haven't been concerned enough about the needs of people, and this is something else we can learn from them. BUT, there comes a point where we need to share Jesus with them. What value is it if we provide for their needs, but they go to a lost eternity because they haven't trusted in Jesus?
I am going to post a few more things on this subject over the next few weeks. Watch this space and feel free to comment.
10 Guernsey Parishes
2 days ago
5 comments:
Hey Richard,
This is definitely a discussion worth having. I think the huge draw to the emergent is the honesty that it gives. We're all broken people who realise Jesus has saved us and they want to show other people that they have worth and BE the gospel not just talk about it.
To be honest the first thing I thought when I read your post was what about our church? I've heard people in our church put down other churches and so on and I have to ask myself what are we doing to help the poor? And if that isn't necessarily on the agenda I think we really have to ask ourselves what are we even doing about the gospel? Apart from the carol service that may bring some to christianity explored, what do we do to get the saving message of Jesus out to the local community? It can be preached from the front on a Sunday but that is never enough.
I think it's important to be heavenly minded but not thinking about 'getting to heaven' but about 'bringing heaven to earth'.
Hi Ferg,
Thanks so much for your comment. It is a subject worth discussing, as you rightly say.
I agree with you that we need to be the gospel not just talk about it. Also, I think that we as Christians do have a responsiblity towards the poor and disadvantaged. However, I don't think you are right about what is going on in church. There are many people who are faithfully working at Sunday School, Kids Club, youth work and other activities to bring the gospel to others, very often these activities attract those who wouldn't come to church. In addition, I am sure that there are a number who quietly bring Jesus to people where they are, in their neighbourhoods, work places, families etc. and we don't hear about it.
We do need the heavenly dimension, but do need to live in the tension between the now and the not yet. Whilst we will want to bring something of heaven to earth, it won't be brought in its fulness until Jesus returns.
I guess perhaps we misunderstood each other.
I know that wonderful things go on in Grosvenor and people of course faithfully serve Jesus and so much of it is hidden and I love that. I wasn't saying at all that there is no preaching of the gospel at our church, of course there is and there's plenty of it. My point however was that the 'Emergent' folk think that perhaps there are people outside of the church who need Jesus brought to them, rather than just hoping they'll come in to our comfortable church. Again we do plenty of gospel stuff inside our four walls but when have we been challenged to do it as a corporate body outside of the comfort of our building?
Does that make sense?
The people who are quietly doing it - I want to hear their stories. I know there are plenty of folk who are serving so faithfully and I'd love a platform for them to be able to share with us on a Sunday how God is using them.
Hi Ferg,
Sorry that you misunderstood me. I agree with you entirely, it is certainly true that going to a church building for many people is something that they could not relate to, and therefore it is important to go to them - they won't come to us! We are not good at getting outside of our comfort zones - that is something I know that I have to learn as I consider what God is calling me to.
And yes, it would be great for people to share with us in church what they are doing to bring Jesus to the people they meet. Perhaps that would encourage us out of our comfort zones?
I thought you might be interested in learning about OUR Jewish traditions, one which has embraced the real Christ of the gospel, the Law and the prophets.
If this doesn’t interest you, I apologize in advance.
If you are interested let me tell you that we are the Frankist Association of America. One of our members has a new book out:
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Messiah-Throne-Origins-Christianity/dp/1906787123/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245892844&sr=8-1
I am not trying to sell you something. We are not ’some kind of cult’ (like Jews could ever take orders from someone!). We’re just a tradition which has lasted for centuries and I think we might be able to teach you a thing or too about that messianic tradition you ... ah ... stole from us and continue to misrepresent.
If you're interested, you're interested. If you're not, you're not. No big deal.
If you can’t afford the book you can see the website of one of our living teachers – http://www.stephanhuller.blogspot.com.
I just wanted to let you and the scholarly world that there have always been more than one type of Judaism in the world at any one time. Some forms of the faith had to learn to hide their beliefs in order to survive and perpetuate themselves.
Shalom, God Bless
Everything is perfected in God's glory (and a rotten, stinking pile of something without)
Beth El Jacob Frank
Post a Comment